CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »
Welcome Signs Words

"To laugh often and much... to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children . . . to leave the world a better place. . . & to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived...

This is to have succeeded
."

my random thoughts...

Monday, September 01, 2008

One good night



Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for awhile and leave footprints on our hearts. And we are never, ever the same.-- Anonymous


Last Wednesday night, I had dinner with the UNFPA Country Representative for Indonesia, Dr. Zahidul Huque, with whom I had the priviledge of working for in Jakarta. Consequently, Dr. Huque has become a very good friend of mine, too. He used to be the UNFPA Country Representative for the Philippines from 2002 to 2006. He was here in Manila last week, together with five (5) other delegates from Indonesia, to attend the 2nd Regional Consultative Meeting on Universal Access to Prevention, Treatment, Care and Support in Low Prevalence Countries (LPC).

Anyway, my post is not about the said conference but more about my "friendship" with this great person. You know how someone touches your life unexpectedly, in ways you can never really explain? That to me is Dr. Huque. And in the process, a unique and a very special kind of friendship was built. Something you know you would want to preserve for the rest of your life. I couldn't help feeling honored and privileged having his trust and confidence in me. Even the way he speaks about me to others makes me ask, "Am I really all that?". It can be pretty overwhelming as I wonder what have I really done to merit this person's respect and friendship?

In his kind of life, he has undoubtedly met thousands of people, in all forms and shapes, from various cultures and destinations. He would know the people that are trustworthy from those who are not. Needless to state, I feel so blessed I am one of those people whose life he has touched in ways that could never have been achieved otherwise. And because of him, I am more confident and secure...knowing I am on the right path.

Sometimes, it just takes one person to make the difference you need.







0 comments: