CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »
Welcome Signs Words

"To laugh often and much... to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children . . . to leave the world a better place. . . & to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived...

This is to have succeeded
."

my random thoughts...

Monday, September 01, 2008

Marley and ME

I've been meaning to write about this book I read - Marley and Me. It's about a dog, a labrador retriever and its owner ( who is of course the author of the book).

It's "a heartwarming and unforgettable story of a family in the making and the wondrously neurotic dog who taught them what really matters in life."

I guess in a way I could relate to it because I, too have dogs, a mixture of sharpei and labrador retriever, which I love so dearly. My day actually starts with them, cleaning their cage, changing their water and giving them their "breakfast". I also believe they can't sleep at night unless I give them my "good night" kiss.

The author's relationship to Marley quite resembles the one I have with my own pets. The attachment to one's pet, the joy of simply being with them, the irritation at some of their nasty habits when I'm busy and the longing during times I can't be with them. I must confess I found myself crying during some parts of the story.

You see, those who love animals, dogs in particular, share common values. This is something I have observed from pet lovers around and to quote the book:

"Animal lovers are a special breed of humans, generous of spirit, full of empathy, perhaps a little prone to sentimentality, and with hearts as big as a cloudless sky."

Indeed, that statement is so true. You can learn a lot from a dog. - Courage, Joy, Unconditional Love and Loyalty are just some of them. Everyday, my pets show me what unconditional love is all about. They really don't care about anything else but me and my attention for them as well. They can also be very protective and possessive at times. =) But most of all, they are contented simply having me with them, as that is probably the best part of their day. And the truth is, that is mine, too.

Give them your heart and they will give you theirs. "It was really quite simple, and yet we humans, so much wiser and more sophisticated, have always had trouble figuring out what really counts and what does not."

Read the book and appreciate your dogs more. And if you don't have pets, you will probably get one. =)

0 comments: