CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »
Welcome Signs Words

"To laugh often and much... to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children . . . to leave the world a better place. . . & to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived...

This is to have succeeded
."

my random thoughts...

Sunday, June 22, 2008

I almost cried...

I was up all night because of the typhoon. Well, it didn't start that way though. I was just actually awake because I was watching the C/S channel. Then I got hungry... while looking for some snacks I then heard the sound of strong winds - like a whistle, but a very strong one in the air... the chimes hanging at the door of my parents house started to make all those sounds as the wind blew on them. I was staying in this other house but within the same gate. Naturally, our dogs started barking and barking! Then the power was cut-off.

The darkness made our pets more frantic and scared, with the sound of the chimes adding to the furor. I thought for awhile that electricity will come back in fifteen (15) minutes, but then when it took hours I got worried and stressed. Not only about the dogs who were restless but also because of my fishes who now lack the oxygen supply from its electric air pumps.


I was in the verge of tears as I watch my fishes gasp for air inside the tank and really got worried when the biggest goldfish, a black ranchu, has turned upside down!

Just in time, my very special friend texted me his usual morning greeting, even telling me he'll sleep again. However, I texted back my "situation" and apparent helplessness to him. And fortunately, he gave me "light" when he said I should do water changes, water being H20, and the act of pouring water in the tank actually creates aeration in the tank. He actually wanted me to let the water from the faucet to flow in the tank or in a temporary basin that would serve as the fishes' tank for the meantime, but I said I don't have a net that would prevent the fish from swimming out of the basin when it becomes full (as water will keep pouring in to create oxygen...). Moreover, goldfishes are sensitive to tap water. When I do water changes, I always put "angel drops", it's an anti-chlorine chemical and water purifier. It also regulates the amount of ammonia in the water which can be deadly to goldfishes.

I decided to just do partial water changes just so to create some air for the fishes. It could work rather than I just stare at them doing nothing and watch my fishes slowly die! Imagine my delight when during the process, my black ranchu slowly swam and turned upright! I was so relieved. So what I did the next hours were to watch them, with just the help of a candle light. So every hour, I remove four (4) gallons of water ( I have a 20-gallon tank) and put water back in. At some point, I saw one fish swimming towards me gasping for air above the surface. I tried to blow air from above and then suddenly, the air pump started to create the bubbles. Electricity was restored!!!

I was so happy! The fishes then started swimming towards the bubbles, perhaps catching their breath and storing air into their lungs! I also noticed that the dogs stopped barking... For a moment then, I just watched the tank as the fishes swim excitedly.

Then the stress and the sleep deprivation I had took its toll on me, I felt sleepy...It was only then that I felt how tired I already was, it was time to rest...




0 comments: